In vino veritas

As part of becoming more self-sufficient and ensuring that the food (and drink) being consumed comes from a good place, I’ve decided to try making some wine :) A Cabernet Sauvignon, to be exact. It takes four to five weeks before it’s ready to bottle, and then 1-3 months after that before tasting.

One bottle costs $2 in the end. Two! I’m really hoping it’s good; I plan to give away a bottle with each chicken later this summer :)

Stage 1 – Primary Fermentation

This was fairly simple (although it looks like all the stages are simple). Sterilize the equipment, dump in the grape juice, water, oak chips, and some dirt (bentonite).

IMG_1130

They are Very Clear that you must make Exactly 23 litres.

IMG_1131

Finished around 4:30pm on Thursday. Now we play the waiting game .. for 5-7 days apparently.

4 comments:

A said...

When we made wine, it got better after about 8 months to a year (better after the whole year). So you know. And it wasn't half bad!

You should try beer next. Dave really wants to do that. He's been talking about it for years.

Jedidja said...

A year? What will I drink meanwhile? :) I guess I could just start another batch....

TonyB said...

Interesting. I have been wanted to try making my own wine ever since I was young and my grandmother would make it. Just have not had the time or the equipment and then there is always something that pulls you away.

I came across your blog because you are using my photo for your header. Just wondering how your came across my photo.

Jedidja said...

The kit is quite cheap to buy (~50 CAD) and the time involved seems pretty minimal :) I would suggest trying it if you want.

I found your photo on Flickr - and credited you at the bottom of the blog :) It said CC with attribution rights so hopefully I am using it properly.

Given that I'm living on PEI I really need to go take some of my own pictures; this was a nice shot to start with :)

Post a Comment